Green Computing with Thin Clients: Saving Money and Reducing Energy. Think Green, Think Thin.
Green computing, or green IT, will improve the way computing devices are not only being used but the devices IT uses and how their infrastructure is designed. Businesses are “going green” in many areas, but specifically in IT because data centers and servers are the biggest offenders when it comes to IT inefficiency. You’ve may have even heard the buzz around “green computing.”
Many organizations today have an abundance of servers, and most of them are underutilized. Typically servers operate at 5%-20% of full processing capacity, but are still using energy. Tack on the cost it takes to run hundreds if not thousands of desktop PCs everyday and power costs alone are putting dents in already tight IT budgets everywhere.
The Benefits of a Green IT Environment
Reducing Environmental Impact:
- Thin clients consume an average of 8-20 watts compared to a average of 150 watt per PC.
- Thin clients significantly lower a company’s environmental footprint by reducing energy consumption and CO2 emissions during use.
- Cost savings from electricity can be reinvested.
- Thin client computing also lowers operating and administration costs.
- Because thin clients have a longer life span and are in built in a significantly smaller form factor, they last longer and can be recycled.
- Thin Clients are RoHS compliant. They meet the regulation regarding the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment.
More and more businesses are adopting green computing solutions for their IT environment. Switching to thin clients from PCs is one of the simplest and most effective ways to work towards a greener IT. Thin client provide a similar user experience but consume only a fraction of the energy required to run individual desktops.