As a general explanation, desktop virtualization involves separating the physical location of a client device from its logical interface, allowing end users to access their data and applications from anywhere. Desktop virtualization “virtualizes desktop computers”. A user interacts with a virtual desktop in the same way they would use a physical desktop. Desktop virtualization lets users remotely log in to access your desktop from any location.
There are four significant advantages of desktop virtualization that help IT departments optimize, simplify, and enhance their organization.
1) Cost Savings:
- IT support costs
- Upfront purchasing costs
- Capital costs
- Use of space in data center
- Licensing costs
- Total operating cost reduction up to 50%
- Reduces energy bill by 97% (www.itgct.com, Information Technology Group)
- Thin clients consume an average of 8-20 watts compared to a 150 watt PC
- This reduces carbon footprint
- Cost savings from electricity can be reinvested
2) Simplified Management:
- All software and hardware upgrades, security policies, application changes, etc. can be made in the data center
- Immediately take effect on thin clients
IT personnel are not required (as they are with PCs) to fix individual problems at the end user desktop location
- Less downtime, increasing productivity amongst End Users and IT personnel
Centralized and simplified back up of desktops, laptops, and other client access devices
3) Enhanced Security
- Thin clients are protected from the use of unauthorized software or the introduction of viruses
- Data cannot be copied to a disk or saved to any other location than the server
- Centralized processing makes it easy to manage and monitor the system
- Simplify security, protect intellectual property, ensure data privacy
4) Increased Productivity
- Productivity can increase by more than 98%, while standard PCs have long repair times that cause delays and higher costs
- Systems can be virtually preconfigured, packaged and put into operation in minutes
- Quickens setup and enables flexibility, without needing a specialist staff
- Access the same apps and data from virtually anywhere
By creating a dynamic and flexible IT environment with desktop virtualization, IT departments worldwide are simplifying their IT infrastructures.
Technology improves how we conduct business, and staying on the forefront of alternative desktop solutions fosters companies to stay competitive in today’s fast paced global marketplace. IT departments are migrating to unique platforms to centralize business through today’s advance desktop technologies.